MUMBAI: Controversies are not new to Salman Khan. Many a times it appears as if it’s not Salman who is courting controversies, but controversies themselves are courting Bhaijaan. From his tweets, jokes to statements; almost everything is capable of making it to the front page headlines. Let’s take a look at some of his biggest controversies of all times.
1. His recent statement where he compared the impact of physical duress during a shoot to be akin to 'a raped woman' grabbed him severe backlash by netizens. "While shooting, during those six hours, there'd be so much of lifting and thrusting on the ground involved. That was tough for me because if I was lifting, I'd have to lift the same 120-kilo guy 10 times for 10 different angles. And likewise, get thrown that many times on the ground. This act is not repeated that many times in the real fights in the ring. When I used to walk out of the ring, after the shoot, I used to feel like a raped woman. I couldn't walk straight. I would eat and then, head right back to training," Salman had said.
2. In a series of tweets in 2015, Salman had suggested that Yakub Memon is innocent and should not be hanged for the acts of his brother ‘Tiger’ Memon. His tweets sparked protests outside his home where police had to be deployed. Salman later deleted his tweets and apologised.
3. In 2014, Salman landed himself in a soup after he performed at Akhilesh Yadav's Saifai Mahotsav. The event faced everyone's ire because many children had died in relief camps in Muzzafarnagar.
4. Salman receieved severe backlash from his fans for giving undue importance to Kajol's sister Tanishaa Mukerji. He was also criticised for being biased towards Tanishaa at several incidents.
5. A fatwa had been issued against Salman Khan for celebrating Ganesh Chaturthi. The chief of Darul-Uloom Hijaziya Chishti, had asked everyone to boycott him and his family for hurting religious sentiments.
6. While shooting for Hum Saath Sath hain in Jodhpur in 1998, Salman Khan was accused of poaching three Chinkaras and a Black Buck. He was also charged for illegal use of arms along with the Saif, Sonali and Tabu.
7. Salman Khan was at the receiving end when he said that the attack was hyped as "elite people" were targeted. As has always been the case, the actor later apologised for his insensitive comments.
8. In 2003, Vivek Oberoi arranged a press conference to reveal that Salman had threatened to kill him and destroy his career. This happened when Salman found out about Vivek’s closeness to his ladylove Aishwarya, who once dated Salman.
9. In September 2002, Salman Khan was allegedly drunk driving, when he rammed into American Laundry Express. His ride killed one and injured four others. In 2015, he was acquitted in the hit and run case.
10. Salman who was in love with Aishwarya is said to have physically assaulted her during their relationship.
11. During the press conference of Kick promotions, Salman is said to have kept the lensmen waiting for a very long time and refused to answer many of their question. Media then decided to boycott him. Mediapersons had claimed that they would not go to the event where Salman Khan will be called as a judge or a guest.
Pooja Bedi Feels There's Nothing Wrong In Salman's 'Raped Woman' Remark
SHOCKING! Salman Khan Compares His Physical Stress To A 'Raped Woman', Sparks Outrage
Salman-Arijit Row: Abhijeet Bhattacharya Asks Who Is Arijit Singh?
Arijit Singh Apologises To Salman Khan On Facebook
Salman's Girlfriend Iulia Vantur in 'No Hurry To' Get Married
Blackbuck case: Salman pleads not guilty in arms case